Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ahhh, Seattle

Yep, it is rainy! We were there for four days and every one of those days it rained a bit - sometimes just a drizzle and sometimes a downpour. We did have sun and sometimes it rained when the sun was shining... very interesting weather. I'm afraid this was not Mike's favorite spot; his arthritis was bad with the dam(p) weather. But we did see the sites.


Years ago, when I worked in North Branch, I based a year's theme on a video produced in Seattle at Pike Place Market called F.I.S.H. - it dealt with attitude in the workplace and putting some fun in your work. Ever since then, I have wanted to visit the fish market and see if I could catch anyone frowning...


This first thing I noticed was the prices.



And the fish, yikes I had never seen so many fish in one place.

And not only were the employees smiling but they really did seem to enjoy themselves as they threw the fish around the market stall. I may have caught one frown. We did get to sample some salmon jerky and it was wonderful! Afraid our budget didn't allow us to buy any of the salmon.



I loved the whole market experience. The flowers


and the fruits and vegetables,




and the people.






Later in the day when we returned to the market, Mike and Barry both bought bouquets for their ladies. Mine looked beautiful in the motor home window.



We also visited the Space Needle. I was shocked to find that it was the 1962 Seattle World's Fair for which the Needle was built; it didn't seem that long ago. Anyway, we were told that is the same year the microwave oven and touch tone phones were introduced; gosh, am I getting old? (Don't answer that!) We took the elevator to the top and I enjoyed clam chowder while taking in the 360 degree view. One more thing can get checked off my "bucket list".



The very best part of Seattle was our visit with my old friend Sue and her husband Bruce. She and I worked together in Moorhead years ago when I was in college; I haven't seen her for almost 25 years and she hasn't changed at all. Sue is still a calm and warm person and her husband is as gracious as she. We enjoyed a dinner together and then went to their home to continue visiting. Mike and I always marvel at "homes". Sometimes we get jealous of those who live with a foundation under them. Sue and Bruce have a beautifully landscaped home in an established neighborhood and it is decorated with very tasteful touches; I could live there... Ahhh but maybe not in Seattle - the rain you know... Anyway, it was great to catch up and I hope we can see each other again, a little sooner than in 25 years!


The last day we were in the Seattle area, we visited Snoqualmie Falls - I had driven over there the day before when it was rather dreary; what a difference a day makes. But the falls was beautiful both days.







Also on our last day in the area, we went in search of Mt. Rainier, since the sun was shining we thought we might actually get to see it. I think I may have captured the snow covered peak in these pictures.

You have to look way in the back by the clouds... I think it is there...

As we got closer to Mount Rainier National Park, the weather had deteriorated and we encountered overcast skies followed by sheets of rain. So all chances of us getting a better view was wiped out. But, we did enjoy a very good lunch at a small town along the way. The waitress was also the chief cook and bottle washer and she did a good job of it all.

Today we split up with Bonnie and Barry and we headed east to Maggie and Rocky's place in Montana. We will rejoin B & B in Pierre, SD for some fishing in a few days. Till later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home