Saturday, July 11, 2009

Ma Has Been Called Home


Sometimes people who read my blog tell me that it seems like our life is all just a lot of fun. And yes, most of the time it is. These past two weeks, we have experienced some great times and we have lived some very emotional times.

Mike's mom has been living in a nursing home for over 25 years. Within the past year and especially the last month, her physical health had deteriorated. Since the end of June, she had been hospitalized a couple of times, and we had recieved frequent calls from the nursing home. It seemed that the end was near for Ma. After stopping in every day for a week, we got a call last Sunday telling us just that.

When we got into the room, Ma was sleeping, her head turned from us. I knew that Mike had some things he needed to tell his mother, so I left them alone and went down the hall to ask some specific questions of the nurses. When I returned, Ma's eyes were open and expressive, but she was not able to speak, although she was trying very hard. At one point, she gestured for Mike to come closer and. with great effort, she spoke her last words, "I Love You". It was loud enough for me to hear, several feet away. What a precious moment!

Ma died on Tuesday late afternoon and her funeral was Friday. The service was conducted by Pastor Shelly from Our Savior's and it was a beautiful tribute. The luncheon gave us a chance to talk with relatives we don't often see.

I will miss Ma! I only knew her as a person in a nursing home, I didn't know the young vibrant woman in the pictures we displayed. I only knew a small part of Ma, but my visits with her always brought me peace. This gentle woman is now Home. That brings me comfort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home