Friday, August 08, 2014

The Headwaters of The Mississippi RIver

Larry has been visiting us this week and most days the guys have gone out fishing.  But, one day, the suggestion was made that we visit Itasca State Park so off we went.  Although we have visited the Headwaters of the Mississippi many times, I always learn something new or relearn something I have forgotten...

It is hard to believe that a river so important to the economy of so many states, with a length of 2,348 miles, flows with these humble beginnings.  This is an unusual picture, not because thousands of pictures just like it have been taken but because I got a photo with no people in it in the middle of summer - rare indeed!




Did you know "Mississippi" is based on an Ojibwe word?



The first time I visited this park, I was just a little girl and my dad probably used a camera just like this one to photograph the rocks - I remember the first time I walked across them - scary!


You used to be able to see many Lady Slippers in the park.


Since spending time with Marylou in the winter, I look at frogs differently.  The word, F R O G, is an acronym for "Forever Rely On God". 


It is fun to imagine what life was like way back when.



This map shows the Old Growth trees in Minnesota 100 years ago and now.  Only Itasca State Park and the Boundary Waters still have major stands of old wood.


 

This picture is hard to read but it tells you that for every 15 square acres of land in Minnesota there is one acre of water... that's a lot of water!


 
This picture of Lake Itasca is synonymous with Itasca State Park.


The guys took time to read about the founding of the headwaters.


And I took time to photograph Mike.



 
This is the same sign that was in the park 50 years ago... well, maybe not, but it looks the same.


I was the only one of the three that walked across the mighty river.


When we left the park, we stopped to see our friends Rosanne and Craig.  They manage a campground at the north end of the park.  It was good to reconnect and I hope we see them again this summer.


When we got home, Mike and I went out on the water for awhile.  The depth finder was alive with signs of fish.


And Mike caught three in a short period of time.  I can't believe they go for this big old lure.


It was a fun day and a beautiful evening.


The next day, Larry was successful on the water.



A 7 pounder and an 11 pounder are now in his freezer.


He watched the fileting process - next year he will be ready to do his own.


This morning, I actually got up for sunrise.  Have I told you how much I like our new deck...


Larry left to continue his summer travels and I got busy watering and harvesting.  The garden is weedy but it is pretty just the same.


Mom always had zinnias in front of her garden so I planted them also.


My tomatoes are doing great - I will probably be able to can a few pints on Monday.



Another wonderful week in our little piece of paradise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home