Monday, May 26, 2008

Things Happen For A Reason ...

We were just supposed be in Minnesota this May. Mom has been in the hospital 4 times in three weeks and because of our change in plans, I was able to be with her for three of those visits. Her last trip to the ER by ambulance gave us all a huge scare... I thought I was going to lose my mom. When she was admitted she had a body temperature of 85 degrees - four hours under a heating unit and her temperature was up to 95. During that very scary time, I was asked to contact the oldest member of the family for directions regarding life support. Jim was called and caught the first available plane from Florida - he arrived just 8 hours later. There was a brief period during which she did not know my brother Rich or me.


Four days and many tests later, we don't know why her temperature fell so low. She is home but very weak and a little afraid of what the future holds. Mom is a proud lady and finds it very hard to accept help and even harder to ask for it. She may have to give up driving and that will be viewed as a serious loss of independence.


I am glad we are here close to our moms and our families. And when they drive me crazy (as is bound to happen), I am thankful for our wonderful retreat at "The Country Club".

A family dog, Shawnee, is 14 years old and moves kinda slow ... except when she sees a rabbit - then it is full speed ahead! The bird feeders are in place and this fellow always sings for us before he settles in to eat; gotta love that face.

Our newest family member visited the motorhome and made herself right at home - the hat she is wearing was a find at Bass Pro Shop in Springfield, MO.
This pair of parents, who are currently calling Lake Jefferson their home, were keeping a close watch out for danger.
This heron struggled for quite some time to get the bullhead and finally stuck her bill right through the fish and proudly strutted off. I witnessed the skirmish and took this picture from a chair by the motorhome - what a place!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home