Thursday, October 01, 2009

"Celebrate Your Gorgeous Friendships With Women!"

That is one of the statements on a throw I received as a retirement present from Sara. In this cold Minnesota weather, I have had that throw over me more than once in the last week. And reading that quote has made me think of my many gorgeous friendships with wonderful women... or wonderful friendships with gorgeous women...


My mom tops the list. At 90 years old, she is still in our family home and this fall she has been making regular trips to the apple tree to harvest the fruit and turn it into something delicious. In addition to baking a very tasty apple, rhubarb, cranberry pie, she has been canning one or two pints of pie apples or applesauce a day. Picking and peeling and preparing aren't easy tasks, but they are important to her and it is part of what makes her gorgeous; she is still doing what she wants!





And then comes a whole bunch of wonderful women with whom I am friends; some I see seldom and others I see more often. Some of these friends are family members, some I have known for years and years and others I have only recently come to know. And each of these women give me something that no one else can.
I celebrate gal friends who have fought and survived cancer. Each of these friends is unique in the way she has confronted her fears and fought her personal battle. Their strength and determination and faith are a source of encouragement of me. (As one reminded me, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month - be sure to get your mammogram!)
I celebrate friends with whom conversations often turn to spiritual issues. Those discussions give me an opportunity to renew my beliefs and strengthen my understanding of the word of God.
I celebrate women who work hard every day to keep it all together. They bring home a pay check from a challenging job, they create a healthy and happy home in which to raise their children and they deal with all the marriage issues. These women are a source of awe and wonder to me... and a great deal of respect.
I celebrate the women whose children are grown and who are now grandmothers. The women who are still in the workplace but whose hearts are always with their expanding family. Women who are working even harder to meet the continuing needs of those they love while occasionally letting their mind wander to retirement. These "in between" women must surely feel trapped sometimes, yet they don't show it. I admire the determination and commitment of these women.
I celebrate women friends who are retired and so active it is difficult to catch up with them. These gals have worked hard and earned the privilege of retirement, yet haven't slowed down. They volunteer and provide assistance to those less fortunate. They take care of parents and other family members. They worry about their spouse and health issues. They care less now about makeup and pampering themselves and more about relationships and what is really important. From these women come my role models.
I celebrate so many women friends who take time to laugh and find humor in everyday situations. The emails from one and the calls from another, the lunches filled with laughter and the goofy stories shared all contribute to my sense of well being.
And so, I "celebrate my gorgeous friendships with women" today and everyday. Thank you to each of you for being who you are, gorgeous and wonderful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home