Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thank You Veterans

On Saturday, we drove 20 miles north to the little village of Tonto Basin for their annual Veteran's Day Parade.  The drive was made more beautiful by the strikingly dramatic clouds that hovered over the water and mountains.


When we got to town, this horse and rider was the first thing I spotted - his red shirt just stood out against that threatening sky.


After Mike bought a peach pie and I admired some woodworking a lady had for sale, the parade started with a very small but proud Honor Guard.


This float was one of only 15 entries in the parade this year... I have to admit this is the only time I have ever seen or heard the statement, "strength in arms and faith" - Bible in one hand and gun in the other is the picture it paints for me...


At first all I noticed was the patriotic shirt on this gal...


until I looked more closely.  This was not a youngster and she was definitely a horse lover - take a look at the locket around her neck. 


And then there was this fellow... he was a riding a three wheeler and his expression never changed.




It was a short, but impressive parade AND it was a fine tribute to Veterans. 

Thank you to all those who served.  It doesn't matter if you were a reserve member or a "lifer", if you served in wartime or peace time - your service was important.  THANK YOU!